I want to sell my house in bankruptcy. Can I sell it during my Chapter 7 case?

Asked over 1 year ago - Culver City, CA

There is some equity in the house. I filed a Chapter 7 BK. I did so 1 week before the bank's foreclosure sale . Will I be able to sell the house and realize the profits instead of the bank foreclosing during my Chapter 7 case?

1. Jonathan David Leventhal

7

Best Answer

Answered . Only with permission of the court and only if you were able to exempt the equity.

Jonathan Leventhal, Esq..
    Leventhal Law Group, P.C.
    818-347-5800

NO EX-PARTE NOTICE VIA VOICE MAIL OR EMAIL: I do not accept e-mail notice for ex parte Applications via voicemail or by email. You must comply with California Law and give notice to a person in my office during regular business hours.

This email and any attachments thereto may contain private, confidential, and privileged material for the sole use of the intended recipient. Any review, copying, or distribution of this email (or any attachments thereto) by others is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender immediately and permanently delete the original and any copies of this email and any attachments thereto.

Leventhal Law Group, P.C. is a Debt Relief Agency under federal law.

Note: The Leventhal Law Group, P.C. does not represent you until a written fee agreement has been signed by you and a representative of the Leventhal Law Group, P.C. and all fees listed in the agreement have been paid.

2. Tiffany Nicole Romine

Pro

6

Answered . I agree that the Trustee would have to abandon the property. But in most cases, if the proceeds from the sale of the property would help pay debt owed to your creditors, the court is not going to give you the money instead.

www.rominesadvice.com

3. Scott Benjamin Riddle

Pro

5

Answered . It depends on more facts. If there is significant equity, the trustee will sell it and finds will go to creditors (and the Trustee). Even if the trustee is not interested, you won't likely be able to sell until your case is over unless the Trustee abandons the estate's interest or approves the sale.

4. Justin Drayton Graham

3

Answered . The first question is whether you are eligible to keep the house in bankruptcy. The answer depends on the amount of equity in the house and your available exemptions. If you can keep the house, it's probably better to sell the property after you obtain a discharge. A chapter 7 bankruptcy takes about 2 to 4 months to complete in Los Angeles. As other attorneys have noted, your house belongs to the bankruptcy estate and you would have to file a motion for authority to sell the property.

5. William James Waters

2

Answered . I agree with the previous answers, but wonder how sure you are that there really will be equity left over. You should look at the realistic potential sale price of the home and them subtract 8% to arrive at a good approximation of your net equity after the deduction of closing costs, etc. Whatever equity is left, if you can exempt it under the code, then you would be able to retain those funda. A sale during the BK requires a motion and approval of the court first.

6. Brad Francis Weil

1

Answered . No you have to wait untill your discarge is issued and your case is closed before you can sell the property.