I WANT TO RENTER THE U.S., BUT I HAVE AN EXPIRED RESIDENT CARD. WHAT ARE MY OPTIONS?

Asked about 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

MY I-90 RESIDENT CARD EXPIRED IN 2006, BUT I LIVED AND WORKED IN THE U.S. TIL MUST OF 2012, NOW I WANT TO RETURN TO THE U.S. TO FIX MY STATUS AND MOST IMPORTANTLY GET BACK TO WORK, IN THE U.S. .

1. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

4

Answered . If you remained outside the US for 1 year or more, without a Reentry Permit allowing you to do so, you have in effect "abandoned" your LPR status in the US. There isn't much you can do, except ask the same parent or relative that originally sponsored you to petition you again. If it is through the DV Lottery that you obtained your LPR status, then you are out of luck. If it was employment based, then you are out of luck again, unless the same (or different) employer wants to sponsor you all over again.

2. Nassim Arzani

Pro

1

Answered . I'm not sure exactly how long you remained outside the US? I highly recommend you retain an immigration attorney to help you. If you were outside the US more than one year, your residency is considered abandoned.

3. Kyndra L. Mulder

Pro

1

Answered . Your residency has not be voluntarily surrendered unless you have been outside the USA for I year. It sounds like you have not been gone for over a year so you are technically still an LPR. I suggest you go to the us Consulate ASAP and explain the situation. You may be able to get a stamp in your passport to indicate that you are an LPR and/or file for a renewal card.