Skip to main content

I want to press charges on someone that is harrasing me verbly on the internet.

Brooklyn, NY |

there is a older woman that is obsessed with my boy friend and she is harassing me on the INTERNET.

Attorney Answers 3


It could be aggavated harassment in the second degree. Call the police... don't be surprised if they don't do much.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and now handle criminal defense and personal injury/civil rights cases. Feel free to check out my web site and contact me at (212) 577-9797 or via email at I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. The above answer is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree


I would start by getting the police involved. Show them everything you have. Make sure you keep detailed records of the harassment. You want to win 99-1, not 51-49.

Start with your local police. If, for some reason, they aren't helpful, contact the police where the harasser lives (if you know).

If none of that works, it's time for an attorney to help you with a restraining order and any civil claims you may have.


Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

1 comment

Charles Thomas Jr.

Charles Thomas Jr.


A win is a win, my friend. I even count cases where the client died and the case get dismissed as a result in the win column.


Besides the good advice to contact the police you already received, I would suggest you complain to the web sites where the harassing is happening through their customer service link.

Sites like facebook or youtube address the harassing problem in their TOS and give you a description of how to complain. Take the time to do this and your problem could go away without spending any money.

You may want to discuss your problem with a lawyer in more detail. Most lawyers on Avvo, including myself, offer a free phone consult.
Andrew M. Jaffe
Attorney at Law
Practice Limited to E-Commerce and Internet Law

This post is provided for general informational purposes only and is not intended to be legal advice specific to you. This general information is not a substitute for the advice of an attorney in your jurisdiction. The attorney client relationship is not established by this post.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics