Skip to main content

I want to leave my husband, but do not want to lose my rights to our house and I would like to take the kids, can I do this

Lombard, IL |

I do not want to be charges with atonement or kidnaping...not sure if I can leave..

Attorney Answers 4

  1. you cannot kidnap your own kids if there is no court order saying what dad's time is.

    atonement is for yom kippur.

    abandonment is a concept in adoption, not divorce.

    before you move, go consult with a lawyer.

  2. You will not be guilty of abandonment if you leave the home because there is no such thing as abandonment in divorce law. Don't feel bad, most non-lawyers ask the same question. As for custody, you are free to take the children with you until a judge says otherwise.

  3. I believe you mean abandonment. Antonement has religious connotations. You can leave and you can take your children unless there is an order forbidding you from doing do. You really need to speak with a lawyer ASAP.

  4. Yes, you will not lose the rights to the house if you leave. The home is marital property if it was acquired during the marriage. Moving out will not change that characterization. However, there are some good reasons to stay in the house, if you can, depending on the circumstances. Talk to a lawyer, divorce is a difficult process and you shouldn't go through it alone. Do you have a place to move to?

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics