I want to know who is the original creditor? The store I bought a product from or the finance company that is sends the bill?

Jacksboro, TN |

I bought hardwood flooring from a local store; same as cash for 12 mo. After one yr I couldn't pay off and started receiving a bill from GE Bank. I didn't sign anything with them. Now in debt collection, who is the original creditor: the store or GE bank? Thanks.

I'm guessing that you actually took out a finance agreement with GE Bank - when you signed the paperwork at the store agreeing to the deal, the "creditor" was GEMB. So, they are probably the ones you owe since GEMB paid the store when you took the materials out the door.

We can be reached at 507.334.0155 (Toll Free: 888.777.5009). Our web address is: www. Answers on Avvo are not to be considered a response to a specific legal issue in a specific jurisdiction - they are to be considered only general responses to hypothetical scenarios posed by the questioner. For specific legal advice, please consult with a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction. No information contained herein should be construed as a solicitation for business, an offer to perform legal services in any jurisdiction in which the attorneys of Corbin Law Office are not licensed, or the dissemination of legal advice. No creation of an attorney-client relationship should be assumed or implied. We are a debt relief agency. Corbin Law Office helps people file for bankruptcy relief under the bankruptcy code.

I would be sure to think you signed a finance agreement for the flooring. GE is the creditor if they provided the financing so that is who owned or owns the debt. However, if a collection agency has the debt they are the one who you would likely contact.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Illinois. Responses are answers to general legal questions and the receiver of such question should consult a local attorney for specific answers to questions.

There name should be on the bill of sale or the financing agreement. Probably, they have sold this account to another collector or agency who is trying to collect it from you which is perfectly a legal way. They are stepping in the shoes of the original creditor and have the same rights of enforcement against you and you have the same defenses against them as well. It appears from your message that it is more than likely the GE bank because stores cannot advance the money as they had to filfull lots of requirements for that purposes.

Only see a licensed attorney before you make any decision. This answer may not be perfect in any given situation. However, more fact may be required by your local attorney. If you are in Las Vegas, you are welcome to send your questions regarding Chapter 7, or 13 to Attorney Malik Ahmad at or or by calling (702) 270-9100. In many cases, we do not charge initial consultation fee.

Financial markets and services topics

Recommended articles about Financial markets and services