Skip to main content

I want to know whether i has conditional green card as my hubby applied divorce recently. I got PR through him.

Arlington, MA |
Filed under: Divorce Green cards

Date in PR card shows resident since 11/02/09

Attorney Answers 6

  1. Your husband's "application" for divorce should not affect your residency status but you might want to check with am immigration attorney about whether the divorce being finalized will.

    NOTE: This answer is made available by the lawyer for educational purposes only. By using or participating in this site you understand that there is no attorney client privilege between you and the attorney responding. This site should not be used as a substitute for competent legal advice from a licensed professional attorney in your area who regularly practices in the subject matter which your question is about. You should develop an attorney client relationship with the lawyer of your choice so that your communications will be subject to the attorney client privilege and have the other benefits of a professional relationship. The law changes frequently and varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. The information and materials provided are general in nature, and may not apply to a specific matter as partially described in the question.

  2. I suggest you consult an immigration attorney who will be able to advise you more accurately of your status. I have changed the practice area to immigration to help accomplish this. Good luck!

    This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The content of this site may not reflect the most current legal developments. Do not consider this site to be a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state or country, and do not act or refrain from acting on the basis of the information contained herein. I am not responsible for any errors or omission in the content of this site or for damages arising from the use of this site under any circumstances. This does not create an attorney-client relationship.

  3. Your question is a bit confusing. Do you have a 2 year of 10 year green card? If it is for 2 years than you should have already applied to remove the conditions a few years ago. If it is a 10 year card then the divorce will not affect your status. Good Luck.

  4. Unless your card has a 2-year expiration date (rather than a 10-year date), the divorce will have no effect on your immigration status.

    Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: (English) (Spanish)

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  5. You should have filed for removal of conditions 90 days prior to the second anniversary of your GC.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  6. What is the expiration date?

    This is not legal advice until I am retained and have reviewed all facts about your situation.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics