I want to know if the review I posted would be a cause of action for defamation of character-the facts are all true??

San Francisco, CA |

[name omitted] represented my mother's estate and my sister and I as personal representatives. She failed to notify the funeral home as a creditor, got herself paid, then stuck us with the funeral bill since my mother had no money left in her account. THen she told us "you got enough", pay the funeral bill.

Truth is a complete to defamation, so don't lose sleep over it.

You should not be posting the names of people in your question.
Truth is a defense to a defamation action. However, just because what you said might be true, that does not mean that someone cannot sue. It just means that they are not likely to win.

I agree with Mr. Spirtos. Further, although truth is indeed a complete defense to defamation, you need to be careful using quotes that are likely paraphrased as you did in the question here... that might not be the "truth" and depending on how far off it is and how damaging to a character it might be, it could still be defamation.

"Truth" is a DEFENSE to a claim for defamation.

It is typical in civil litigation that the court first considers the defenses to the claim about a year or so into the lawsuit. Until the case progresses to that point, you must appear, defend, and litigate effectively through a competent attorney. That usually costs a serious amount of money.

It may be true that "truth is a complete defense," but it certainly is not a perfect defense, coming so late in the process for adjudication.

It is a rare circumstance where the principle of stating your truthful lawful opinion is worth the hassle, expense and risk of even a badly-based defamation suit. But, your risk; your choice.

No legal advice here. READ THIS BEFORE you contact me! My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must not be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. My law firm does not provide free consultations. Please do not call or write to me with a “few questions” that require me to analyze the specific facts of your history and your license application and prescribe for you how to get a State license. Send me an email to schedule a paid Consultation for that kind of information, direction, and assistance. My law firm presently accepts cases involving State and federal licenses and permits; discipline against State and federal licenses; and disciplinary and academic challenges to universities, colleges, boarding schools, and private schools. We take cases of wrongful termination or employment discrimination only if the claims involve peace officers, universities or colleges.

Internet law topics