I want to know if someone would be interested in taking my case on contingency. It involves collecting royalties for a record.

Asked over 1 year ago - City Of Industry, CA

I had made the last record deal for Eddie Kendricks. The record company and its CEO had skip and try to avoid paying the royalties to me from the deal. The record had sold internationally. It was sold through many different distributors and still is being sold. Such names as Amazon, k tel and i tunes to name a few. Sales spans over a period of ten years. My accountant who help me with the original deal has sent letters demanding payment with no response. He thinks I am not aware of his current location. He has moved to Florida and has screwed other people. In the contract it states that " If anyone was in default of the agreement in anyway, the parties that are still in good get the master recording." I am sure that the money can be collected. I am sure it would be a lot owed. Excuse spelling.

1. Andrew Endicott Schrafel

7

Answered . You might be able to find a lawyer to work on contingency if you can demonstrate:
    1. you are due the royalties
    2. the amount of royalties due
    3. that the record company is selling the song
    4. and that the record company actually has assets to attach.

If the path is not clear cut because the record company transferred ownership of the songs to a different company then it is unlikely you will get someone to work on contingency.

Discuss this all with an attorney in your area.

2. Ivan Jose Parron

Pro

5

Answered . More facts are needed. You should consult with an entetainment attorney who can review the contract and give you a legal opinion. Don't necessarily count on anyone accepting this type of case on contingency. There is a distinction between contingency and pro-bono.

3. Sagar P. Parikh

2

Answered . You need to have an entertainment attorney research this issue and determine whether there are significant royalties available to collect. Otherwise, it is doubtful that an attorney would take this matter on a contingency.

4. Sreenivasarao Vepachedu

2

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. You need to consult with an attorney with more details of the project.

5. David M. Slater

2

Answered . You will probably want an entertainment attorney in Florida to handle the case, as that is probably where the defendant is located and can be served with legal papers.

One or more answers have been taken down.