I want to know if it is true that a sex offender can not get a K-1 Visa for his girlfriend?

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

My boyfried was convited sex offender.
He wants to married me in his country, United State, but
I want to know What problems could he has in this process.
I am Latin. He lives in Florida.
He has come to my country Two times
but he said to me he is ready for getting married in his country for this he has to ask for K1 Visa.

Please help me.


Attorney answers (4)

  1. Carlos E Sandoval

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with attorney Tunitsky.

  2. Jeffrey Adam Devore

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . The Adam Walsh Act prevents U.S. citizens convicted of certain sexual related offenses from filing petitions for alien relatives (including fiancee's). There are, however, issues with the constitutionality of its immigration provisions. I suggest you and your boyfriend consult with an experienced immigration attorney who can review the specifics of his criminal history and advise you as to how it may affect his ability to petition for you in the future.

    While this answer is provided by a Florida Bar Certified Expert in Immigration and Nationality Law, it is for... more
  3. Veronica Tunitsky

    Contributor Level 18


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Yes, it's true under the Adam Walsh act. Your petitioner will likely need a waiver and this is something you don't want todo without a lawyer.

    The information offered is general in nature and not meant to be relied upon as legal advice. Please consult an... more
  4. John Skyler Riordan

    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . There is nothing keeping you all from getting married; however, there will be all kinds of other issues related to him be a sex offender. Housing will be the most significant issue you and he will face. Being a convicted sex offender prevents you from living in many places.

    John S. Riordan, Esq., is a partner with Kelley, Kronenberg, Gilmartin, Fichtel, Wander, Bamdas, Eskalyo &... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,394 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,394 answers this week

3,224 attorneys answering