I want to know if it is possible to sue a car dealership, they sold me a car that was not what they portrayed it to be. Thanks.

Asked about 2 years ago - Wausau, WI

They sold me a vehicle and said eveything worked perfectly and and nothing was wrong with it, and signed a piece of paper saying that. It had horrible brake pads, roders, the check engine light came on immediatley after leaving the dealership, and it had illegally tinted windows, which I got pulled over for the same day, thankfully i was only given a warning, please help me.

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Gordon R. Leech

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyers agree


    Answered . If you purchased a car from a dealer relying upon the dealer's representations about the condition of the car, and the car is not in the condition promised, Wisconsin law may provide a remedy. Wisconsin law does impose certain requirements on a used car dealer to make disclosures of known problems and problems that it should have known upon a reasonable inspection. There is a Buyer's Guide required in Wisconsin that a dealer is suppose to complete, and it covers many of the basic functions of the car. If the dealer made affirmative representations about the condition of the car, then these too can be the basis for a claim. Claims include violations of Wisconsin's consumer protection laws and laws tht provide remedies for intentional or negligent misrepresentations of the dealer that you relied upon. You may want to talk to a consumer protection attorney licensed in Wisconsin to see what remedies you may have. I have provided a link to the National Association of Consumer Advocates, as they maintain a membership list by state. NACA members represent consumers in these types of matters.

  2. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Is it possible to sue? Yes. Anyone can sue.

    Can you get anything by doing so? Probably? If the amount you paid was less than $10,000.00 you can probably bring it as a small claims action. If it is more, you will want to have a lawyer.

    Have you asked them to make it right or take the car back?

    Contact the Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade, and Consumer Protection and file a complaint if they won't make it good. This may do as much good as a lawsuit and is easier.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. I am a Wisconsin lawyer. The laws in... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

22,220 answers this week

2,895 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

22,220 answers this week

2,895 attorneys answering