I want to know if I can still sue the city of SF for a theft of the contents of a u-haul impounded in 2008.

Asked over 1 year ago - Petaluma, CA

I was driving a u-haul containing every thing I owned in 2008. I was pulled over for making an illegal left hand turn in SF. Because of my moving and address change, I was unaware my license was suspended 10 days after renting the u-haul and 2 days before I was pulled over.

The u-haul was impounded and I was given a number on a piece of paper to contact within 30 days to recover the vehicle and all my contents. It was locked when impounded.

3 days later, I contacted Auto Return,(the phone number on the paper) and was informed, the u-haul was returned to u-haul, the company with the lock still on.

I contacted u-haul and was informed they picked up the u-haul, it was empty, with the lock on it.
I pursued legal action with SFPD, IE, The DA, Internal affairs, Other police officers,.

1. Christine C McCall

Pro

Answered . First, this event is more than 5 years ago. The statute of limitations and claims notice period have both elapsed. But you state that you already pursued legal action on this loss. So, why are you asking about making a claim or bringing suit now?