Skip to main content

I want to know, if use student loan, and i also do a visa k1 ussing my brothers affidavit, if i will have problem ?

Metuchen, NJ |

hello, I'm massiel, I'm american citizen, my boyfriend is in Dominican republic, I'm planning to do a visa K1, and married in the USA but using my brother affidavit, I'm studying psychology with a student loans, and i want to know if i will have trouble with my petition or my boyfriend visa if I use my brother affidavit having loans?

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Not on that basis.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

  2. I think you watch too many horror movies. You should have no cross problems in either of the two areas of your concern.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  3. You having student loans and your brother having other loans do not make you ineligible to file I-864/ I-134. Read the instructions on the form carefully to check if you otherwise qualify as far as income requirement goes.

    This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.

  4. That is not a problem, but the Dominican embassy is very tough on fiancé petitions and you need a lot of evidence. You should consult with a lawyer for assistance or at least a consultation so you understand what you need to accomplish and the risks.

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics