I want to give up rights to a child who was just born. is this possible?

Philadelphia, PA |

I have an ex in Kansas that just had a baby a few days ago. She gave him my last name and everything. I have lived in pa for the past 8 months now and didn't want the baby from the beginning but she said no to abortion early on and adoption isn't an option she said because she loves him. I do not want this baby. How can I give up my rights as the father? She told me she doesn't want anything from me but I don't want to get a court ordered paternity test a few years down the road and have to pay back support. I cannot afford him and she can't either. Adoption would have been the best option for him IMO

It is not possible to terminate your parental rights unless the child is either adopted by another family or the mother gets married to someone that wants to adopt the child. Until that occurs, you are financially responsible to support the child if she pursues support.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.

I agree with attorney Silverman. I would add, that you should explore the laws of Kansas on this issue since it appears from your question that the child was conceived, born, and resides in Kansas.

Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving Pennsylvania & New Jersey

Philadelphia Area Office
223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pennsylvania 19063

All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody