Skip to main content

I want to give my car back after filing a chapter 13

Mishawaka, IN |

I purchased this vehicle after I started making my chapter 13 payments. with the trustee approval letter. If i give this car back, will I still be protected under bankruptcy? And will the trustee approve another car loan?

Attorney Answers 3


If you purchased this vehicle after you filed your bankruptcy then it is a post petition debt and your liability for the debt will be unaffected by your bankruptcy, which is a long way of answering your question, no you will not be protected and if you give it back, they will be able to sue you if they cannot sell the car for what you owe. You could dismiss your current case and refile but there are significant risks to that. if you have an attorney, you really need to talk to him/her. If you don't have one, you need one.

DISCLAIMER: This message is intended as a general discussion of legal issues and not as a statement of fact, legal advice or a legal opinion. No attorney-client relationship is created by this message. Do not act or rely upon law-related information in this communication without seeking the advice of an attorney licensed to practice in the relevant area. I am a Federally Designated Debt Relief Agency under the United States Bankruptcy Code. I proudly help people in financial need file bankruptcy cases. IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, we inform you that any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication (or in any attachment) is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed in this communication (or in any attachment).

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


Derek R. Caldwell

Derek R. Caldwell


Mr. Crozier is correct, you can convert to a ch7 and include the vehicle debt. Otherwise I stand by my earlier answer.

Derek R. Caldwell

Derek R. Caldwell


Sorry, that is Mr. Whitaker is correct.


Attorney Caldwell answered your question well.

Since this is a post-petition debt, you REALLY need to speak to a competent, local bankruptcy attorney before you make a move!

Good luck.

If you need further clarity, please email me at MICHAEL@MIRELAND.US Answers to questions are for general information purposes only and do not establish an attorney-client relationship. This is not legal advice, simply information. You SHOULD NOT act on this information without consulting a competent bankruptcy attorney in your area and providing ALL relevant information.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


If you qualify for, and convert to, Chapter 7, the auto loan can be included among your dischargeable debts. But ... odds are - you're in a Ch13 because you don't qualify for Ch7.

Mark as helpful

2 lawyers agree

Bankruptcy and debt topics

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics