I want to get a divorce but my wife lives in another state and i dont know where she is its been over ten years

Asked 4 months ago - Mount Vernon, OH

how can i divorce her

1. Thomas Austin Thompson

Pro

2

Best Answer

Answered . Ohio requires that only one of the spouses reside in the State of Ohio for six months and the county in which the divorce complaint is filed for at least 90 days prior to filing. Assuming you meet those requirements, since you have been living separate and apart for more than one year, you can file for divorce at any time. You will, however, need to serve her with notice of the divorce. You should speak with a domestic relations attorney in your area about your situation. If you are able to locate a current address, an attorney can have her served by certified mail. If you do not have a good address, there are methods to provide notice by publication and in some courts by other means. In either event, an attorney should be able to get the service issues resolved fairly quickly and get you divorced so that you can move on with your life. Use Avvo's Find a Lawyer tool to locate a divorce attorney in your area. Schedule a consultation and discuss these issues with the them. Best wishes.

2. Jamie Campbell Manning

1

Answered . Absolutely! I can help you with this process. Do not hesitate to contact me to learn more.

3. Curt Perri Bogen

Pro

Answered . Some Courts will require you to attempt to locate her before publication, using web searches and social media. Here's an easy way. Find an old tax return or something with her social security number and birthdate, and have a credit check performed on her. Otherwise, you can file--and then publish. Good Luck.