I want to find a lawyer who will write a letter of intent to sue a church in Newport News, Virginia to have tithe money returned

Asked over 2 years ago - Hampton, VA

The pastor refused to marry me and treated me very badly after I got married by another pastor at another church. The pastor would not marry me even after the presiding bishop gave approval and he refused to discuss his reasons with me or my family. I felt so rejected that I left that church. I want the church to return all the tithe money that I gave to the church during the time that I was a member.

Additional information


Attorney answers (1)

  1. Answered . Unfortunately, you have no legal right to demand that this money is returned to you. Tithing is a voluntary gift, and a gift once made is unconditionally made absent special circumstances. Deciding that you no longer feel positively about the recipient is not one of them. While you may certainly request the money back, your church has no obligation to return the money, and almost certainly won't.

    This response is not offered as legal advice, but is only a general informational response for public interest. No... more

Related Topics

Lawsuits and disputes

If you're faced with a dispute that can't be resolved by negotiation, a lawsuit may be necessary. It will allow you to seek a legally binding solution in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,696 answers this week

3,712 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,696 answers this week

3,712 attorneys answering