Skip to main content

I want to file contempt charges against my ex for child support arrears but need help with calculations and document prep.

Denver, CO |

I know I can not afford attorney fees for full representation at this time, but I do need to move on this contempt charge as soon as possible. In November 2011 the judge decreed that my ex husband owed $10,000 in arrears payable at $200/mo plus $450 /mo support for our daughter. As of October 2012, payments have ceased again. I do want to be sure that when I file contempt charges, I have completed my documents correctly and have the interest caluculated appropriately on the arrears. Are there attorneys who assist persons with document preparation at a nominal/pro rated fee?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Yes. Many of us on Avvo can help you with unbundled legal services utilizing document preparation and other limited representation agreements. This type of representation is allowed by Colorado rules. Give one of us a call to discuss your needs and see how your particular situation can fit into this model.

Nothing in the answer provided should be considered legal advice because all cases and facts are different and require a thorough examination of the facts by an attorney before any decisions are made.


I help folks with child support and contemp document prep and arrears calculations. I also do arrears collection on a contingent fee basis if you need help collecting. Feel fee to call me for a free initial consultation if you would like. I hope this helps.

You can reach Dave Rich at (303) 886-2516 or Dave Rich is an attorney licensed in Colorado. Answering your questions does not create an attorney-client relationship between us. You should speak with an attorney to whom you have provided all the facts in your case, before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. I am not obligated to answer subsequent emails or phone calls unless you have hired me. I wish you the best of luck with your situation.


I would be happy to assist you either by reviewing the documents that you prepared, or preparing documents for you. I can offer low hourly or fixed fees. Please give me a call. 303-333-4106.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in a free consultation, feel free to call Josh at (303) 333-4106 at his law office in Denver, or email him at


All of my colleagues can assist you. However, you might also wish to contact your local county Department of Human Services, Child Support Enforcement section. You pay a small fee ($30-40) and the department can assist with timely collection efforts. Although a contempt of court is a remedy that is of use, I tend to use it sparingly especially in these economic times where a judge must find that a party has the current ability to pay. I would prefer to have an obligor maintain an existing job (as opposed to possibly losing it by being put in jail) and secure payments through an income assignment or tax refund interception (by the County Child Support authorities).

*Contacting the Firm by e-mail, phone, or letter does not create an attorney-client relationship. Similarly, a response to your inquiry from the Firm does not bind the Firm to represent any person or any entity. Representation only begins after a written fee agreement is fully executed, the agreed-upon retainer is paid in full, and the retainer clears the Firm's trust account, if required.

Karl J Geil

Karl J Geil


Although the County CSE Unit will not assist in collecting interest unless you take the steps to have the interest assessed and added to the arrears in a formal judgment.

Cheryl Redmond Doyle

Cheryl Redmond Doyle


Karl, you are certainly correct with this!

Child support topics

Recommended articles about Child support

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer