I want to file bankruptcy but I don't have a social security number. Can I file with an ITN number?

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

Considering chapter 7

1. Michael J. Ireland

6

Answered . Assuming you are an individual, yes you can file a BK with an ITN, if you reside or are domiciled or have a place of business or property in the USA. Be sure to use your ITN on the "Statement of Social Security Number."

HOWEVER, you will have to answer the trustee's obvious inquiry at the 341a as to why you have no SSN (lack of green card is obvious reason) and otherwise prove your identity (passport, etc.) AND bring proof of issuance of the ITN to your name (the IRS letter would be helpful).

2. Brian Crozier Whitaker

4

Answered . Yes.

3. Paula Brown Sinclair

4

Answered . Yes, you can see it right on the Official Form. Attempting bankruptcy without capable legal assistance is not wise.

This answer is offered as a public service for general information only and may not be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. Michael Salanick

Pro

2

Answered . Yes you may file using a Tax ID number if no legal SSN. You should be aware of any improper use of a SSN and how you are disclosing your former use of any illegal SSN, if any. This is especially true when listing all of your debt and when testifying during your 341 a hearing.

Best of luck!

Michael Salanick, Esq.
    msalanick@salanicklaw.com
    310-590-4575
    www.salanicklaw.com

5. Brad Francis Weil

1

Answered . YES DIsclose Disclose Disclose

6. Diane L Gruber

Pro

1

Answered . Yes, that is allowed. BUT, please discuss with a bankruptcy attorney. If you are a US citizen, why wouldn't you have a SS number?

7. Roger Jon Yehl

1

Answered . Quick answer is yes but you will need to provide additional information to prove your identity to the Trustee. You should find a local bankruptcy attorney to help.