I want to file a Immigration pettion for my stepfather. Can he legally adopt me? so I can file for him?

I am a U.S. citizen, my mother just received her greencard through me.Unfortunately, they got married after I turned 18 but they have been married for 25 years. Now my mom is greencard holder he has to wait for two years to come here?

No you can not file for him not can he adopt you

Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State of Ohio The below answer is provided for informational use only. One should not act or refrain to act solely based on the information provided. No attorney/client relationship is created unless an Agreement is signed by the attorney and the client. Best regards, Neil Neil I Fleischer The Fleischer Law Firm, LLC 917 Main Street Cincinnati, Ohio 45202-1314 Direct telephone: 513 977 4209 nfleischer@immigrate2usa.com Enjoy our Blog at http://immigrate2usa.blogspot.com/

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Curtis Frederic Pierce

I agree.

There is no way you can file for him individually at this point - the marriage creating the relationship would need to have happened before you turned 18.

Your mother's petition for him may actually take much longer than two years - speak with an attorney.

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Agreed.

If the marriage was after you turned 18yrs then you cannot file for your step-father. Your mother will have to become a U.S. citizen to file for her spouse, as her immediate relative, otherwise she can file as a lawful permanent resident but her spouse will have to wait a few years before he can adjust his status.
Caro Kinsella
Telephone: 954-304-2243
Email: caro@ckinsellalaw.com
Website:www.ckinsellalaw.com

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Curtis Frederic Pierce

I agree with my colleague.

Unfortunately, you cannot petition him. Your mom will need to do so, and he will need to wait until she is a US citizen or his priority date becomes current in order to immigrate.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Curtis Frederic Pierce

Agreed.

Your mother will have to petition for him.
---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=b978db88d50c9d49bd40b46846ffa5591122b4d10785cb4016aadda40007d3b379ac367a0a1861d1 ) ----------------------------------------

Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice.

Child adoption topics