I want to file a Immigration pettion for my stepfather. Can he legally adopt me? so I can file for him?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I am a U.S. citizen, my mother just received her greencard through me.Unfortunately, they got married after I turned 18 but they have been married for 25 years. Now my mom is greencard holder he has to wait for two years to come here?

Attorney answers (5)

  1. 8

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . No you can not file for him not can he adopt you

    Neil I Fleischer (513) 977-4209 www.immigrate2usa.com Note: Neil Fleischer is an attorney licensed in the State... more
  2. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . There is no way you can file for him individually at this point - the marriage creating the relationship would need to have happened before you turned 18.

    Your mother's petition for him may actually take much longer than two years - speak with an attorney.

  3. 7

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If the marriage was after you turned 18yrs then you cannot file for your step-father. Your mother will have to become a U.S. citizen to file for her spouse, as her immediate relative, otherwise she can file as a lawful permanent resident but her spouse will have to wait a few years before he can adjust his status.
    Caro Kinsella
    Telephone: 954-304-2243
    Email: caro@ckinsellalaw.com

  4. 5

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Unfortunately, you cannot petition him. Your mom will need to do so, and he will need to wait until she is a US citizen or his priority date becomes current in order to immigrate.

    J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not... more
  5. 6

    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your mother will have to petition for him.
    ---------------------------------------- This email was sent by: Avvo, Inc. 1501 4th AveSuite 1900 Seattle, WA, 98101-1588, USA We respect your right to privacy - visit the following URL to view our policy. ( http://click.mail5.avvo.com/?qs=b978db88d50c9d4... ) ----------------------------------------

    Law Office of Luis A. Guerra (954) 434-5800. This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as... more

Related Topics


If you want to visit or move permanently to the US, you'll want to learn about your different immigration options.

Family based green card

Citizens and permanent residents may sponsor their relatives for permanent residence in the United States.

Danielle Nelisse

Green Card Marriage Interview

The immigration interview husbands and wives are required to attend in order to get the foreign spouse their green card (lawful permanent residence) through marriage can be very anxiety... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

36,289 answers this week

3,861 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

36,289 answers this week

3,861 attorneys answering