Skip to main content

I want to extend my I-94 on B-2 visa. On p. 4 of I-539 form, exactly how should I answer about "how you are supporting yourself?

San Marcos, CA |

It is the question on part 4, second question. The question reads: If you answered "No" to question 3g of this form, (which I did, about whether I have been employed in US since last admittted) fully describe how you are supporting yourself. Include the source, amount and basis for any income.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Include information on any friends or relatives with whom you are staying, and include an affidavit from them and proof of thier income. Reference any bank accounts you have and provide proof. A SAMPLE answer would be
I am supported with my savings (see attached bank statement) and the kindness of my friend Jane Smith who has provided the attached affidavit and copies of recent pay stubs and tax return showing she has an annual income of $45000.. Ms. Smith is allowing me to stay at her home rent free.

Also explain why you want to stay longer such as travel to see more of US or
upcoming family event such as wedding or birth of grandchild. Be as detail oriented as possible. Also,you may want to seek advice of an immigration attorney

Under the guidelines set by AVVO, this response is general information only and not specific legal advice, and no attorney client relationship is formed by this response to your question.


Answer the question truthfully. Depending on the circumstances of each foreign national, an immigration attorney will complete the application differently.


You need to explain how you will be supporting yourself while in the US. Savings? Family funds?

You should retain an experienced immigration lawyer to review all the facts and advise you accordingly.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

Immigration topics

Recommended articles about Immigration

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer