Skip to main content

I want to drop the aggravated burglary charge on my exboyfriend, what can I do?

West Chester, OH |

1. He broke into my house with me there
2. He destroyed my belongings in my room.
3. Took my phone and my purses (that he bought)
(The phone is under my name and bought by me.)
4. Restrained me from,being able to leave my room
5. No serious harm or visible bruises or cuts.
6. No weapons
7. Took the officer that asked him to come back with my belongings to f*** off.
8. Now facing aggravted burglary and unlawful restraint.

On his mothers behalf I would like to drop the charges because 1. I wanted him to learn his lesson not ruin his life. 2.he's only 20 3. I am getting restraining order but I would not want someone in prison for making an impulse decision based on information I told him and angered him.
They are good people. 12 years is just too drastic and far fetched in my opinion.

He has a job, a clean record, and two parents who have told me that after finding everything out I no longer have to worry about him bother me weather I have a restraining order or not. He's still dependent on his mom and he was dependent on me. Probation is necessary but a 12 year sentence is unfair. His mom just lost her job and does not need to be paying for his bad decisions. Please tell me what I can do to drop these charges?

Attorney Answers 3


You don't drop charges. And you don't decide punishment. Neither does his mother. He made his own choices and now doesn't like the consequences.

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


As the victim of a crime you have a right to get an attorney as well. You do not have a right to court appointed counsel. Whether or not to dismiss charges is completely up to the prosecutor. If you get an attorney your attorney may be able to persuade the prosecutor to dismiss the charges. Be careful how you go about doing this because many times the prosecutor will charge you with a crime as well.

Attorney Chris Beck
Beck Law Office, L.L.C.
1370 North Fairfield Road
Suite C
Beavercreek, Ohio 45432
(937)426-4000 phone (24/7)

The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client relationship. Attorney Beck is available for private hire and consultation for a fee. Only after Attorney Beck is retained as counsel, or agrees to discuss this matter with you privately, shall he be legally deemed to be your Attorney. His responses herein are an attempt to assist persons temporarily based upon the very extremely limited amount of information provided by the questioner

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful


Once charges are filed, you do not have any control over the criminal prosecution. You can speak with the prosecutor handling his case and tell him that you wish to have the charges dropped. However, that does not mean that the charges will be dropped. It is up to the prosecutor at that point, and they can continue to pursue the case, even against your wishes.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics