Skip to main content

I want to divorce my husband . He wants too. How can i protect my assets and do not give anything to him?

Miami, FL |

I got my green card through him . I do not have anything under miy name except a car (fully paid) We both want to divorce but i want to make sure he does not have any interest in my assets before and after marriage. He is happy to sign any paper stating that , Is it enough or does he still have right to come after me in the future for money?

Attorney Answers 7

  1. This is not an immigration question. Best to consult a divorce attorney.

    (734) 369-3131. This communication does not establish and attorney-client relationship with the Law Office of Michael Carlin PLLC or any individual member of the office. Confidential information should not be sent through this form.

  2. Even though you got your greencard through him, this is not an immigration question. Talk to a divorce lawyer.

    PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- -- -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.

  3. you need to consult with a family attorney licensed in Florida. Generally the Court will agree to any arrangement that the two of you agree to -- a family law attorney can help you right up a suitable Marital Settlement Agreement and arrange the transfer of any titles.

    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

    2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277

    Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

  4. This question involves a matter of family law. Consult with a family law attorney.

  5. There are several ways to go through this. The easiest way is to file for an uncontested divorces, have him sign an answer waiver and a MSA.

    Our office offers a free consultation. Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss this matter further. (305) 381-9999

  6. Your question is confusing. It almost sounds like you want a prenuptial agreement and not a divorce. You want to make sure that he does not have any interest in your assets after the divorce just like he did not before the divorce? I think that is what you are saying. You really need to meet with a family law attorney because there are many more questions that need to be answered like: What is the length of your marriage? What are your respective incomes? Furthermore, an analysis of your premarital assets needs to be done to determine if anything has happened to change the non-marital /premarital nature of those assets. Good luck!

    Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787

    Please be advised that any answers or information disseminated above do not constitute legal advice and that the attorney responsible for this posting is merely attempting to participate in a Q & A session intended to be helpful but certainly not intended to be legal advice. It is important that you understand that no attorney-client relationship has been formed and that the attorney has no obligation to follow up with you with your legal issue unless you separately contact said attorney and arrange for him to legally represent you.

  7. Do you want a post nuptial settlement agreement? There are rules about disclosure and proper procedure to follow to ensure the agreement is valid and won't get thrown out by the courts. If you have assets that you want to protect, be wise and hire an attorney. Please fe free to call myself or one on of my colleagues. Protect yourself and your assets. Get assistance.

    You can reach the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. at (305) 974-1580 or Richard S. Chizever, Esq. is a family law attorney licensed in the state of Florida. This answer is for general information only and does not create an attorney client relationship between Richard S. Chizever or the Law Office of Richard S. Chizever, P.A. and any person. You should schedule a consultation with an attorney to discuss the specifics of your legal issues.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics