I want to divorce my husband . He wants too. How can i protect my assets and do not give anything to him?

Asked 11 months ago - Miami, FL

I got my green card through him . I do not have anything under miy name except a car (fully paid) We both want to divorce but i want to make sure he does not have any interest in my assets before and after marriage. He is happy to sign any paper stating that , Is it enough or does he still have right to come after me in the future for money?

1. Michael Hugh Carlin

12

Answered . This is not an immigration question. Best to consult a divorce attorney.

2. William Charles Rosenfelt

10

Answered . Your question is confusing. It almost sounds like you want a prenuptial agreement and not a divorce. You want to make sure that he does not have any interest in your assets after the divorce just like he did not before the divorce? I think that is what you are saying. You really need to meet with a family law attorney because there are many more questions that need to be answered like: What is the length of your marriage? What are your respective incomes? Furthermore, an analysis of your premarital assets needs to be done to determine if anything has happened to change the non-marital /premarital nature of those assets. Good luck!

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787

3. Lynne Rogers Feldman

11

Answered . you need to consult with a family attorney licensed in Florida. Generally the Court will agree to any arrangement that the two of you agree to -- a family law attorney can help you right up a suitable Marital Settlement Agreement and arrange the transfer of any titles.

--
    Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
    Concentrating in Immigration Law

2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
    San Diego, CA 92108 | (619) 299-9600
    Fax: (619) 923-3277
    website: www.immigrateme.com

Former Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
    University of Illinois College of Law

4. Kenneth Manuel Damas

9

Answered . There are several ways to go through this. The easiest way is to file for an uncontested divorces, have him sign an answer waiver and a MSA.

Our office offers a free consultation. Please feel free to give me a call if you would like to discuss this matter further. (305) 381-9999

5. F. J. Capriotti III

10

Answered . Even though you got your greencard through him, this is not an immigration question. Talk to a divorce lawyer.

6. Daniel Patrick Hanlon

Pro

9

Answered . This question involves a matter of family law. Consult with a family law attorney.

7. Richard Scott Chizever

Pro

6

Answered . Do you want a post nuptial settlement agreement? There are rules about disclosure and proper procedure to follow to ensure the agreement is valid and won't get thrown out by the courts. If you have assets that you want to protect, be wise and hire an attorney. Please fe free to call myself or one on of my colleagues. Protect yourself and your assets. Get assistance.