I want to clear my criminal record and I need help. Do I need representation to do this?

Asked about 2 years ago - Detroit, MI

I have a criminal record that dates back to 1997. I have since earned degrees to build credibility and show rehabilitation. In Michigan, I have two felonies and a misdemeanor.

Attorney answers (4)

  1. 3

    Lawyers agree


    Answered . Consulting an attorney would be a good idea. Laws on expunging, sealing or otherwise limiting criminal records vary widely from state to state. Some states do not allow expungement when there has been any criminal conviction at all, even for a misdemeanor. Other states seem to be more lenient. Two felonies would give you a problem in any state, more than likely. A criminal defense attorney in Michigan could tell you what options, if any, you have to improve your record.

  2. Answered . To get a criminal conviction expunged you need the authority of the Court that sentenced you. In Michigan you are only eligible if you have ONE felony expunged. You list two so my reading of the law is that you are ineligible. Don't let my advice stop you from looking though - you may be able to file a motion to have one or both of your pleas vacated. However, I would say your odds of success on such a motion are probably slim.

  3. Answered . You should call an attorney about this. There might be another way to tackle this situation.

    Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
    Free Consultations

    Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship has been established. Please contact an attorney about your legal... more
  4. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I agree with Mr. Sachs. Laws vary widely on this subject and in-state lawyers would be your best source of information about available relief. Criminal convictions have such a long-term and negative effects on one's ability to earn a living, etc. Check with a local attorney and good luck.

Related Topics

Criminal defense

Criminal law establishes the classifications of crimes, how guilt or innocence is determined, and the types of punishment or rehabilitation that may be imposed.

Criminal record

Your criminal records show your history of criminal convictions and sometimes arrests. Criminal records are accessible online and from county clerk offices.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

33,557 answers this week

3,749 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

33,557 answers this week

3,749 attorneys answering