I want to clear my criminal record and I need help. Do I need representation to do this?

Detroit, MI |

I have a criminal record that dates back to 1997. I have since earned degrees to build credibility and show rehabilitation. In Michigan, I have two felonies and a misdemeanor.

Consulting an attorney would be a good idea. Laws on expunging, sealing or otherwise limiting criminal records vary widely from state to state. Some states do not allow expungement when there has been any criminal conviction at all, even for a misdemeanor. Other states seem to be more lenient. Two felonies would give you a problem in any state, more than likely. A criminal defense attorney in Michigan could tell you what options, if any, you have to improve your record.

I agree with Mr. Sachs. Laws vary widely on this subject and in-state lawyers would be your best source of information about available relief. Criminal convictions have such a long-term and negative effects on one's ability to earn a living, etc. Check with a local attorney and good luck.

To get a criminal conviction expunged you need the authority of the Court that sentenced you. In Michigan you are only eligible if you have ONE felony expunged. You list two so my reading of the law is that you are ineligible. Don't let my advice stop you from looking though - you may be able to file a motion to have one or both of your pleas vacated. However, I would say your odds of success on such a motion are probably slim.

You should call an attorney about this. There might be another way to tackle this situation.

Kennedy Law Office, PLLC
586-580-1042
Free Consultations

Disclaimer: No attorney-client relationship has been established. Please contact an attorney about your legal rights. This answer is for educational purposes only.