I want to change my legal name

Phoenix, AZ |

I was divorced 6 years ago in the state of illinois. At the time of the proceedings I didn't change my last name. I wish I would have. Can I go back and change it through the divorce papers or is there a better way?

Based on the amount of time that has passed and the fact that you're now residing in Arizona, it seems like it would be appropriate for you to file an application to change your name in civil court. This can be a very straightforward process - it involves filing an application with the court and paying a filing fee, giving notice to the other parent (if you have any minor children) and attending a brief hearing to finalize the name change. There are forms and instructions available at the website for the Maricopa County Superior Court if you are interested in doing this on your own: www.superiorcourt.maricopa.gov, self-service center (under "civil" cases). I would also recommend that you consult with an attorney who can discuss the process with you in greater detail. Many law firms, including ours, offer a free initial consultation.

** This response is provided as general information only and does not constitute legal advice or otherwise establish an attorney-client relationship. **