I want to change my last name to my step-dads last name, but I'm only fifteen. How do I do that?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Edmond, OK

My dad left me when I was three, my mom and him were never married. I'm currently living with my mom and she's remarried to my step-dad. My biological dad has never been there for me and I'm sick of having his last name. He doesn't deserve to have me have his last name. My step-dad has been there for me all my life. I owes a little repsect. I'm tired of baring my dads last name.

Attorney answers (1)

  1. Victor R. Wandres


    Contributor Level 9

    Answered . It's an inexpensive process, around $150, and you don't need an attorney. The Court Clerk in your County likely has the forms that you need and should be able to help you. Your mother will need to be on board with the idea and file the papers on your behalf. In your petition you would normally need to include:

    • The name and address of the petitioner; how long the petitioner has lived at the given address.
    • The date and place of birth of the petitioner; the birth certificate number, and place of registration, if the birth is registered.
    • The name desired by petitioner.
    • A clear explanation of why you want the name changed.
    • A positive statement that the change is not sought for any illegal or fraudulent purpose, or to delay or hinder creditors.

    The answer given does not imply that an attorney-client relationship has been established and your best course of... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,716 answers this week

3,165 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,716 answers this week

3,165 attorneys answering