I want to buy a car in Ohio, but I live in Pennsylvania, can I get a temporary tag to bring the vehicle back to register it?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Cleveland, OH

I am a PA licensed resident, the car is titled/registered/tagged in Ohio

Attorney answers (2)

  1. Christopher Lee Beck


    Contributor Level 19

    Answered . In Ohio you can drive for up to thirty days with the plates from your old car placed on the new car. You should still contact PA to find out what they say. Good luck.


    The responses of Attorney Chris Beck to any questions posed on Avvo do NOT establish an Attorney-client... more
  2. Arthur Joseph Obolsky

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . I would urge you to contact the Pennsylvania Dept. of motor vehicles with your question for specific advice on the logistics applciable to PA, but typically a car purchased out of state can be temporarily registered to you in that state (here Ohio) and then permanently registered in the state of residency (here PA) upon being brought into the state.

    DISCLAIMER: This reponse is for informational purposes only and cannot be treated as legal advice. Legal advice... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,804 answers this week

3,135 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,804 answers this week

3,135 attorneys answering