Skip to main content

I want to buy a car in California that has out of state plates and no paperwork-can I buy the car and register it in California?

San Diego, CA |
Filed under: Used cars Vehicle title

I live in California, and I want to purchase this car and register the vehicle in my name in California. Can I register this vehicle in my name in California with out of state plates and no paperwork ? How do I register this vehicle in my name in California with out of state plates and no paperwork ? The vehicle is owned by a private party who just moved out here from Montana.The vehicle that I am interested in has Montana plates on it and I would like to register the car in California. The guy who is selling the vehicle let me take the vehicle to a mechanic to check it out, and while the mechanic was looking at the car I checked to see if the vehicle had been reported as stolen-it had not been reported as stolen. What do I have to do to register this car in California? Thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Visit your local department of motor vehicle and get the appropriate forms etc. also some will require a brake and lamp inspection certificate as well a smog certificate to transfer if car is a California emission compliance car based on the VIN.

Good luck. Do not pay $$ unless you get clearance from DMV.

In addition to AVVO's disclaimer, please note that by this answer no attorney client relationship is intended mor entered into and unless there is a signed retainer agreement in place, neither me nor anyone in our office has intended to solicit clients nor reprints them. The answers are general in nature and without weighing specifics of particular query. No answer should be relied on in whole or in part, directly or otherwise to act or not to act in pursue of any of your potential claims in law or equity. You should consult with and obtain advise or representation of an attorney to protect your rights regarding your case or matter.

Lemon law topics

Recommended articles about Lemon law

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer