I want to buy a car in California that has out of state plates and no paperwork-can I buy the car and register it in California?

Asked about 1 year ago - San Diego, CA

I live in California, and I want to purchase this car and register the vehicle in my name in California. Can I register this vehicle in my name in California with out of state plates and no paperwork ? How do I register this vehicle in my name in California with out of state plates and no paperwork ? The vehicle is owned by a private party who just moved out here from Montana.The vehicle that I am interested in has Montana plates on it and I would like to register the car in California. The guy who is selling the vehicle let me take the vehicle to a mechanic to check it out, and while the mechanic was looking at the car I checked to see if the vehicle had been reported as stolen-it had not been reported as stolen. What do I have to do to register this car in California? Thank you

1. Pardis Patrick Ashouri

Answered . Visit your local department of motor vehicle and get the appropriate forms etc. also some will require a brake and lamp inspection certificate as well a smog certificate to transfer if car is a California emission compliance car based on the VIN.

Good luck. Do not pay $$ unless you get clearance from DMV.