Skip to main content

I want to apply I 130 for my mother. Name is different in passport and birth certificate. is that an issue for her ?

Vienna, VA |

Immigration lawer

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


What do you think? Is it an issue? One must use his or her legal name on all immigration papers. Legal name is the one that appears in Certificate of Birth unless properly legally changed via marriage, court decree or any other legally acceptable way in the jurisdiction such change takes place.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


You should include a copy of the document that changed her name, such as her marriage certificate, divorce decree or court order.


If you can trace all the name changes and back those with valid documentation, you should have no problems.

Olga Bychok

Olga Bychok


Thank you Jeff, you are just being nice, that is all!

Get Avvo’s 10-part divorce email series

A weekly guide with tips and legal advice for each stage of the process.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer