I want to apply for US Citizenship but my ex husband owes unpaid taxes do you think I can still apply for it?

Asked over 1 year ago - Chicago, IL

I know he has a monthly payment plan wit IRS. Since our divorce I have paid all my own taxes.

Thank you

it will be almost impossible to get a copy of this monthly payment plan from him. How do I prove he has it, on my interview with immigration officer.
Yes those unpaid taxes are from when we were married.
Thank you for all your answers.

1. Laura Justine Jacobson

7

Best Answer

Answered . Are your ex-husband's unpaid taxes from when the two of you were married? If they are and you're legally responsible for the taxes, too, you might need to disclose that. If there's a payment plan, then you'll probably be ok. If the taxes your ex-husband owes are only his, and not from when the two of you were married, then you have nothing to worry about.

2. Jeffrey Anton Collins

4

Answered . Disclosure, in detail, goes a long way. Especially knowing that your family tax situation could be reviewed anyway. But also, you should have an attorney to help you with this application process.

3. Dhenu Mitesh Savla

Pro

4

Answered . I would be sure to do a thorough review, and be prepared to bring it up in the n-400 interview, and send the relevant proofs along with the application.

Definitely talk to an attorney.

Dhenu Savla, Esq.
    SwagatUSA, LLC
    www.swagatusa.com/attorney

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship and is not meant to be relied upon as legal advice.
  4. Giacomo Jacques Behar

Pro

5

Answered . You can go ahead and apply.

On the N-400 Application, You can safely answer "no" questions asking if you owe back taxes or if you ever failed to pay your taxes.

5. Stephen D. Berman

3

Answered . Your ex husband's unpaid taxes should have no effect on your eligibility, and you can get your tax transcript from IRS.