Skip to main content

I want to apply for citizenship and I want to know if my criminal record can affect those chances.

Kalamazoo, MI |

In 2005 I was convicted of a misdamenor for retail fraud, I went to court and I had to pay fines. Also In 2005 I had a car accident and In 2006 I was given a felony for felonious driving. I was given 3 years of probation but I was relase early and only served 1 year and a half. I also payed fines. Mi question is if I can become a US citizen and petition my husband. We been married for almost 3 years. I have had good behavior for 5 years. I also want to know if this crimes can make me deportable if I apply for citizenship. Any advice will be helpful. Thank You.

Attorney Answers 1


For naturalization, you need to show you are a person of "good moral character" for the past five years. this time generally will run from the completion of a probation or the other final terms of a criminal conviction. So your 2005 retail fraud is probably a crime involving moral turpitude, but it is a misdemeanor and you may have completed all the terms of the conviction beyond the 5-year period.

Your felony driving charge is also problematic, as many felonies may affect your citizenship application and may even affect your PR status. I would consult with an experienced naturalization attorney that is familiar with the penal code in Michigan.

Mark as helpful

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics