I want to apply for citizenship. In 1996 I was charged with DUI and pleaded no contest. Will this be a problem?

Asked over 1 year ago - Houston, TX

I have had my green card since 1996. My DUI happened in Hawaii. According to my Attorney at the time my DUI was classified as a petty misdemeanor. Do I need to mention the DUI in the form N400, part 10D, 16-18?

Am I talking any risk applying for citizenship?

1. Kristin D Figueroa-Contreras

4

Best Answer

Answered . Yes, of course you must mention the DUI on the N-400. Once the FBI runs your prints, the DUI arrest will show. A simple DUI conviction does not normally have adverse immigration consequences. Multiple DUI convictions, however, or a DUI conviction coupled with a conviction for Knowingly Driving with a Suspended License or No License, could definitely pose a problem. Not revealing the DUI arrest on the N-400, of course, would be a mistake.

2. J Charles Ferrari

6

Answered . All questions on the N-400 must be answered truthfully.

3. J. Thomas Smith Ph.D.

Pro

5

Answered . Yes. It will be a problem if you do not tell the truth about your criminal background. All arrest must be included.

4. Richard Bennett Bracken

Pro

4

1

Answered . In addition to what my colleagues have stated, it is my experience that CIS won't grant an N-400 application until they have seen the official and final dispositions of all arrests. In situations where offenses have occurred out of the states in which my clients live, I ask them seek to obtain 'certified case printouts' for all arrests before they file the N-400. This is because obtaining such documents can take more time than CIS is willing to wait, should they ask for them at your interview. Moreover, if the record has been destroyed you will most likely need a certified letter from the court explaining that the records no longer exist.

5. John J. Carney

Pro

2

1

Answered . That is not a crime involving "moral turpitude" so it will not likely adversely effect your citizenship unless you fail to list it on the N-400 form since they will know about it anyway.