Skip to main content

I want my personal property back ex will not give back even after divorce is finalized he doesn't allow me to get it.

Gig Harbor, WA |

Please someone explain how I can get what is left of my personal property. No the divorce doesn't state anything about holding my stuff for and time or date and no it doesn't state anything about when stuff has to be taken out of house. I have tired getting my stuff but he will not allow me to get my things that were given to me as a child and family members sadly can't replace those items since many of it its handed down to family to family. I am greatly upset by this I have tried many times to get ex to agree to give what is left. He states I gave him the house and everything in it in divorce which is wrong, only the house and what is his he can keep I want what is mine

Attorney Answers 1

  1. Well I need to see the decree and other final documents for your case. If the case was in Pierce County, give me the case number an I will look it up and add more after I review the documents. Otherwise, if you are entitled to property in the house, and he won't give it to you, you can get what is called a Civil Standby Order. That is the specific Order from the court that allows you access to the house to get your stuff. You may also be able to have your X held in Contempt depending on the language in your decree. If you used an attorney to get the divorce call him/her and they should help you. Any other good family law attorney should be able to help you. Hope that helps. Good Luck.

    This is not legal advice.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics