Skip to main content

I want justice for my brother, police officers used excessive deadly force. Can I still file a claim after 5 years?

Rialto, CA |

My brother was killed by police officers in California 5 yrs ago. The 2 officers fired 30 gun shots striking my brother 28 times. I want to bring justice for my brothers death. Is there anything I can still do?

Attorney Answers 2


A question like this is a bit beyond the scope of services intended by the AVVO site.

Generally, claims against a government agency must be submitted within 6 months from the date of the incident and any lawsuit filed within the next 6 months.

There are exceptions. You should contact a civil rights attorney as soon as possible.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees


No. In California, before suing a public entity, the petitioner must present a timely written claim for damages to the entity. Personal injury and wrongful death claims must be presented to the government entity no later than six months after the cause of action accrues.


Frank W. Chen is licensed to practice law in the State of California. The information presented here is general in nature and is not intended, nor should be construed, as legal advice. This posting does not create any attorney-client relationship with the author. For specific advice about your particular situation, consult your own attorney.

Mark as helpful