Skip to main content

I want a license to export cosmetics to Iran. What kind of license do I need, and how much would I need to pay in Attorneys Fees

Los Angeles, CA |

Los Angeles, OFAC Attorney, Attorneys Fees, Type of License

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


There are several issues you need to face. In which capacity are you exporting? Are you an agent of a manufacturer? Do you have endorsement from a company? Do you have a license in Iran to import in that country? Do you know the local regulations to import these kind of products? What is the status of your company in the US, if you have one? Are you planning to move goods in which way? Are you signing a contract? Do you have a shipping company? Do you have an importer in Iran? What about the technical approvals in that country? What about the contract and tax consequences? I think you need to hire an international attorney as soon as possible. Best

This reply is offered for educational purpose only. You should seek the advice of an attorney. The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than an educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the undisclosed individual asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of New York. Responses are based solely on New York Law unless stated otherwise. Pursuant to Internal Revenue Service guidance, be advised that any federal tax advice contained in this written or electronic communication is not intended or written to be used and it cannot be used by any person or entity for the purpose of (i) avoiding any tax penalties that may be imposed by the Internal Revenue Service or any other U.S. Federal taxing authority or agency or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.


In addition to the great issues raised by my colleague Mr. Melchionna, you do not disclose whether you are a US citizen or any of the other elements necessary to evaluate the applicability of OFAC to you. This could not be more complex. You should have a budget of at least $10,000 for the legal issues alone, and the attorney fees could easily be higher depending on the particular facts of your case.

The above is general legal and business analysis. It is not "legal advice" but analysis, and different lawyers may analyse this matter differently, especially if there are additional facts not reflected in the question. I am not your attorney until retained by a written retainer agreement signed by both of us. I am only licensed in California. See also terms and conditions item 9, incorporated as if it was reprinted here.

Shawn Michael Haggerty

Shawn Michael Haggerty


Beware colleagues, this may be the Indio versus (india) person tht put me on the coals. Not upset at the previous post but he came at me hard for making the distinction. God luck to him/her. Exact same inquiry.

Michael Charles Doland

Michael Charles Doland


Thank you.


Both counsel make superb points. The reality is that you'd really have to speak with a lawyer as to the best course of action. Usually a lawyer can't guarantee how much your fees will be unless you negotiate the amount with them beforehand and they're willing to do it. Mr. Doland and Mr. Melchiona are both excellent seasoned lawyers. Why not call one of them and ask if they'd represent you. It's probably a good idea to have a business attorney to call anyway and they're both fine ( in the European sense) choices.

Ms. Johns can be reached at (866) 402-4038. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless and until you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This email does not otherwise constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax lawyers or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. If you wish such services, please consult with the appropriate professional in that field.

Business topics

Recommended articles about Business

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer