Skip to main content

I want a divorce and im on ssi how can i get a divorce based on my income

Miami, FL |
Filed under: Divorce

i need a divorce but living on a month to month income

Attorney Answers 2

  1. You may consider calling or going to your local Clerk's office and asking about filing fee waivers. Good luck.

  2. The 11th Judicial Circuit has a process that allows the Clerk of Court to determine whether a person is indigent ("poor enough") for the purpose of waiving the filing fees and if you aren't given a complete waiver of the costs the Clerk will often set up a payment plan for the filing fee which is now $409.00.

    There are also 2-3 resources to obtain pro bono ("free") services for representation in the divorce. Legal Aid (located at 123 NW 1st Avenue, Miami, FL) serves as a free source of representation in divorce cases and if one of the in-house attorneys is unable to handle your case they may refer you to the Put Something Back Program which locates private attorneys who have agreed to accept pro bono cases. You may also go to the Self Help Center (located at 73 West Flagler Street, Miami, FL) and for a small fee you can pick up a package that contains all the necessary forms to file and complete your divorce. If you can't afford the small fee associated with put the Self Help Center, you may also go online to and access the same forms for free (each form comes with instructions on how and when it should be used).

    Family Law is also an area of practice that allows for limited representation of clients; so If you would really like an attorney's help, you may ask a private attorney if he is willing to provide limited services for a reasonable fee. For example an attorney may charge you a reasonable fee to only prepare the initial pleadings to get you going with the Court and you would then be responsible for the rest of the case going forward. If you are comfortable with understanding how the forms are filled out and when to use them, then you may want to retain an attorney just to go to any necessary hearings and/or mediation and/or your final hearing.

    The first step is to get an understanding of all your legal rights associated with the divorce for your particular circumstances and nothing gets that done better than a legal consultation which many attorneys will gladly provide for free or a very reasonable consultation fee.

Divorce topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics