Skip to main content

I want a divorce and custody of my son who is 7years old and i don't know the where abouts of my wife. what can i do

Chicago, IL |

it has been 14 months that we have been seperated. for the last 4 months hasn't seen or heard from her and her contact numbers has changed. I don't have the funds to pay for a lawyer. Please help!

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


There is nothing we can do to help you in this online forum. However, if you are unable to pay for a lawyer, you might be able to seek the services of a legal aid office. Try Prairie State Legal Services or another local legal assistance office. You could also try but you are always better off using the services of a real live lawyer.


The facts are incomplete. Is your son with you or with her? Sorry that we cannot help you here. This forum is not to represent people but for simple legal Q&A. You definitely need a lawyer. Put your time in researching legal aid resources. You will have to qualify for legal aid. you could also try to borrow legal funds from a relative or friend since your son is involved.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about.


First, you can get divorced and deal with the custody issue -- there's no need to delay doing so just because you don't know where your wife is.

Second, you should try to figure out a way to work with an attorney -- you're not looking at thousands of dollars, here, either. The fact that the mother is MIA actually makes your case more affordable, not more expensive.

Third, investing even a little now in good legal advice will likely pay off in huge dividends in the future. We Family Law attorneys see every day folks who get crossed up because they felt they had to save and cut corners years before . . . only to have it bite them later. Rethink your strategy an recognize that you'l likely be saving yourself -- and your child -- a load of trouble in the future by paying a little and getting it done right, now.

Questions? Call - 312-987-9999 -- for a no-charge, no-obligation, free Matrimonial / Family Law legal consultation.

Gary L. Schlesinger

Gary L. Schlesinger


how will he deal with custody if the child is with her and he cannot find her?

Wes Cowell

Wes Cowell


Huh!! Funny -- I read the post and just took for granted the child was with the Dad and that Mom abandoned them.


Two things are for sure: you will not learn enough from this forum to do the job yourself, and you cannot afford not to have a lawyer.

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer