Skip to main content

I want a divorce

Estherville, IA |

my wife has a ofp on me and is living the house i brought into our one year marrige it is soley in my name once i file do i have to continue paying for her to live there or will she have to find somewhere she can afford

Attorney Answers 2


Property division is complicated and requires an experienced attorney in your state to properly advise you. Property division depends on what type of state you are in - community property or equitable or something else. In addition I'd depended on what contributions she has made tot he house as well as other factors such as her ability to work, the overall financial health of the family, if there is any equity in the home, etc. this is why it is essential to speak to an experienced family law attorney.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

1 lawyer agrees

1 comment

Howard M Lewis

Howard M Lewis


Great counsel-


I am sorry you are going through this. Given that there is an order for protection against you, I really suggest you find a local attorney so that you are protected legally, financially and criminally just in case something happens. I hope things get better and I wish you all the best take care.

Legal disclaimer: The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of Massachusetts. Responses are based solely on Massachusetts law unless stated otherwise.

Mark as helpful

18 found this helpful

3 lawyers agree

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics