I've recently broken up with my partner and he's asking for the bed he bought me as a gift back. Can he take me to court?

Asked over 1 year ago - New York, NY

He purchased the bed on his credit card as a gift to me. He has the receipt. I paid half of it (in cash to him) because it was expensive and we had it delivered to my house. Now he is saying he wants it. I refuse, as i have no other bed and it was a gift to me. He is saying he will take me to court. Does he have a case against me?

1. Eric Edward Rothstein

1

Answered . It will be his word v. yours. If it was a gift, be prepared to explain why you paid half?

2. Steven Warren Smollens

1

Answered . Dear Owner:

Why is the bed a gift? You paid for half the cost, the bed was delivered to your house, and you have the bed. That does not seem like a gift. A person does not usually go 50/50 on a gift. You bought the bed together, and you have the bed. You have as much claim to who paid for the bed as does your ex. But the bed is yours to claim as it is in your house.

Anyone may make a claim. Just because the ex claims this bed is his now, does not make it so. Be prepared to defend your ownership interest in the bed if he sues (he will not sue to recover the bed, he will likely sue for his half interest in the purchase and since the bed was used for two years, the value is diminished.)

3. Edwin Drantivy

Pro

Answered . For a gift to be enforceable, there must be intent, delivery, and acceptance of the gift. It can be construed that the bed was delivered to you and accepted by you, but whether or not he intended to give you permanent rights to the bed at the time that he gave it to you will most likely be the swing point. Good luck!