I've recently arrested by Target. I got a letter for 484 (a) P.c. petty theft. The total amount was $ 250. It was my first tim

Asked about 2 years ago - Glendale, CA

What will be the consequences of it. will I go to the jail. or I will get the community service and some fine. Also I need a attorney but first, I want to know an approximate fee to know if I can afford it or not.

1. Maltaise E Cini

3

Answered . If you do not have a criminal record for any other convictions you will not usually do jail time on a petty theft. However every court house gives out different sentences on petty thefts. Some courts require community service, while other court houses will allow a diversion program so that you can earn a dismissal.

There is no set fee for attorneys. Each attorney charges their own rate. You should chose an attorney based on who you feel most comfortable with, you want an attorney that will professional handle your case and has the experience to get you the best disposition.

2. Elliot Rahmim Zarabi

Pro

2

1

Answered . Although jail is a possibility, it's not likely for a first time. They will count your book and release as your jail time. However, with that said, you don't want a criminal record! You should do everything you can to keep this from going on your record. Feel free to ask me any questions and make sure you read my petty theft guide.

Elliot Zarabi
    www.FreeCriminalConsultation.com
    213-612-7720

3. Nadezhda M Habinek

2

Answered . Keep in mind that while jail is not likely (as long as this is your only arrest), a fine is likely and so is restitution. Restitution means you will have to pay back Target for the value of the items they say you stole.

4. Jennifer Diem-Trang Le

Pro

Answered . I would be interested in knowing if you have a prior record and what the items were that you took.
    $250.00 is not extremely high, but it's not exactly low either.

Nonetheless, the goal here is to try to get it reduced, or even better, dismissed. There are many ways to approach your case, but the bottom line is the d.a. needs to hear a compelling reason as to why you should get any type of deal at all. That is where your attorney comes in, and hopefully, you'll have one who is familiar and experienced in these types of offenses.

Fees vary from attorney to attorney, but they are usually a flat fee. You should consult with a few attorneys to determine which would best serve your interests.

One or more answers have been taken down.