I've lived with my friend in his apt. for over 2 years rent free. Can he put me out? What are my rights?

Asked over 1 year ago - Newark, NJ

1. Matthew R Schutz

1

Answered . If you are not paying rent, you are not a tenant. I would start looking for a place.

2. James P Brady

2

1

Answered . You are not a tenant. You are a guest. The hospitality to a guest may be withdrawn at any time for a good reason, a bad reason or, no reason at all. You have no rights in this regard.

3. Yolanda Navarrete

1

1

Answered . If the apartment is in his name I recommend you find another place.

4. Kenneth A White

Pro

Answered . If the two of you had never been married and do not have a child in common this is not a question for a Family Law Forum, as the Family Court would have no jurisdiction over your matter. You should be posting your inquiry in a Landlord / Tenant Forum or some other forum.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
    New Jersey Family Law Attorney