I've lived with my friend in his apt. for over 2 years rent free. Can he put me out? What are my rights?

Newark, NJ |

If the apartment is in his name I recommend you find another place.

Please be advised my answers to questions does not constitute legal advise and you should not rely on it, due to the fact that we have never met, I have not been aprised of the facts in you case nor have I reviewed any documents.

His lease ran out months ago, now we're here just paying month to month... Does that help me?

Yolanda Navarrete

Yolanda Navarrete

Sorry, this is more of a landlord/tenant issue. I tend to believe it is still his lease rather than yours.

If the two of you had never been married and do not have a child in common this is not a question for a Family Law Forum, as the Family Court would have no jurisdiction over your matter. You should be posting your inquiry in a Landlord / Tenant Forum or some other forum.

Kenneth A. White, Esq.
New Jersey Family Law Attorney

The Answer provided was based on the limited information provided, and represents information based on the law in general, not a legal opinion that can be relied upon. Before a formal legal opinion can be offered I would need an opportunity to review all possible relevant facts and circumstances. You cannot rely on the advice of an attorney given over the internet. The exact facts of your sitaution, including facts which you have not mentioned in your question, may completely change the opinion that is being offered. Please be aware that the above comments are neither protected by attorney-client privilege, nor may the same be the basis for a malpractice lawsuit.

If you are not paying rent, you are not a tenant. I would start looking for a place.

You are not a tenant. You are a guest. The hospitality to a guest may be withdrawn at any time for a good reason, a bad reason or, no reason at all. You have no rights in this regard.