I've filed for divorce in PA and my wife won't sign the papers. When can I take her off my healthcare insurance plan?

Asked about 1 year ago - Susquehanna, PA

She has a settlement agreement I had made that states neither party will get spousal support or alimony. It just isn't signed yet. After it's signed can I remove her? Also she tried to get spousal support and I asked for an entitlement defense hearing because she cheated on me and I have evidence. She didn't want to go to court so she vacated the spousal support. Does this make a difference in when I can remove her from Health Insurance??

1. Randi Joy Silverman

6

Answered . Typically, you cannot remove her from your health insurance plan until the Divorce Decree is entered. At that point, a COBRA package will be sent to your wife giving her the option of electing coverage under the provisions of the statute.

2. Lidia L. Alperovich

Pro

3

Answered . You should have a clause in your agreement that discusses health insurance. Also, speak to your HR and see what their rules are

3. Peggy Margaret Raddatz

Pro

2

Answered . Your lawyer should answer this question. Usually spouses are not removed from coverage until the divorce is final. Sometimes they are still covered for a period if time after that depending on the coverage you have.