I've filed for divorce in PA and my wife won't sign the papers. When can I take her off my healthcare insurance plan?

Susquehanna, PA |
Filed under: Divorce Alimony

She has a settlement agreement I had made that states neither party will get spousal support or alimony. It just isn't signed yet. After it's signed can I remove her? Also she tried to get spousal support and I asked for an entitlement defense hearing because she cheated on me and I have evidence. She didn't want to go to court so she vacated the spousal support. Does this make a difference in when I can remove her from Health Insurance??

1. You should have a clause in your agreement that discusses health insurance. Also, speak to your HR and see what their rules are

2. Your lawyer should answer this question. Usually spouses are not removed from coverage until the divorce is final. Sometimes they are still covered for a period if time after that depending on the coverage you have.

IF YOU FOUND THIS ANSWER "Helpful" or " The Best Answer" YOU CAN THANK ATTORNEY RADDATZ BY MARKING IT SO because Avvo awards the attorney points. MS. RADDATZ is donating her time and talent by answering questions to help those in need of legal information. This is NOT a consultation and in no way creates an attorney-client relationship. YOU SHOULD ALWAYS PERSONALLY CONSULT WITH AN ATTORNEY IN YOUR LOCAL AREA who has specific expertise in the area of law you are asking about. Remember that it is the Lawyer who:  Punishes the wicked, Protects the innocent, Raises up the lowly, Opposes brutality and injustice, Seeks equality of humanity regardless of color, cast, sex or religion, Leads in every cause, and Seeks the best in everything.

3. Typically, you cannot remove her from your health insurance plan until the Divorce Decree is entered. At that point, a COBRA package will be sent to your wife giving her the option of electing coverage under the provisions of the statute.

My response is based solely on the limited information contained in the question. It is not meant to substitute your attorney's advice.