I've been trying to find the form for a specific objection to an interrogatory.

Asked over 1 year ago - Los Angeles, CA

The defense asks a question based on facts never alleged in any of the pleadings. There has to be an objection for this, but I cannot seem to find it. Can someone point me in the right direction as to where to look?

1. Lloyd Stewart Mann

Pro

4

Answered . An interrogatory must request information that is likely to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence. That is a very broad standard, but if you in good faith do not believe that the interrogatory seeks such information, it is your right to assert an objection. You need to serve your responses in a timely fashion. Otherwise, the objection could be waived.

2. Joseph Mark Miller

5

Answered . You should object on the basis that the Interrogatory is not reasonably calculated to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence. The scope of discovery is broad, and you should probably provide an answer subject to your objection, unless you are trying to assert a privilege, which doesn't seem likely because you appear to be representing yourself. Check the local rules of the court that your case is filed and consider consulting with a local attorney.

3. David M Blain

1

Answered . The questions and information sought in discovery do not have to be strictly limited to facts plead in any of the pleadings. Parties in discovery are entitled to information, documents and other tangible evidence that may have a tendency to lead to the discovery of admissible evidence.

The information and documents exchanged in discovery may nonetheless be excluded from evidence at the trial on the matter, but that does not mean the party are not entitled to such documents and information during discovery.