Skip to main content

I've been separated (not legaly) from my husband for over 4 years.

Lorton, VA |

He is asking me to borrow him my money $20000.00 and I'm about to sing the promissory note. When I get divorce soon hopefully, can I get my money back, or he would be exempt from paying me back. Thank you,

Attorney Answers 3


You should consult an attorney right away as to whether to pay this money. From the facts you've given on this site, I'm not convinced you would be able to recover the money.

The above is solely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship.

Mark as helpful

1 found this helpful

2 lawyers agree


You are at great risk of never seeing that money again. Recommend you do not transfer any money to him until you have met with a family law attorney.

NOT LEGAL ADVICE. FOR EDUCATION AND INFORMATION ONLY. Mr. Rafter is licensed to practice in the Commonwealth of Virginia and the US Federal Courts in Virginia. There is no implied or actual attorney-client relationship arising from this education exchange. You should speak with an attorney licensed in your state, to whom you have provided all the facts before you take steps that may impact your legal rights. Mr. Rafter is under no obligation to answer subsequent emails or phone calls related to this matter.

Mark as helpful

3 lawyers agree


It is not possible for an attorney to give legal advice without first meeting with a client. Why? Because legal advice is based upon the law as applied to the particular facts provided during an office consultation. Please set up a meeting with an experience family lawyer before giving your spouse money that you may never recover. Without having details about the marital assets, including his retirement, your retirement, the house, his employment situation, etc. just giving him $20,000 under the guise of a loan does not appear to be a wise decision. Best of luck~

This response is only intended for informational purposes and is not intended as legal advice or as a substitute for hiring an attorney in your state. Further, by sharing this information, it is in no way intended to establish an attorney client relationship with the reader.

Mark as helpful

1 lawyer agrees

Divorce topics

Recommended articles about Divorce

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics