I've been separated (not legaly) from my husband for over 4 years.

Asked about 1 year ago - Lorton, VA

He is asking me to borrow him my money $20000.00 and I'm about to sing the promissory note. When I get divorce soon hopefully, can I get my money back, or he would be exempt from paying me back. Thank you,

1. Rixon Charles Rafter III

3

Answered . You are at great risk of never seeing that money again. Recommend you do not transfer any money to him until you have met with a family law attorney.

2. Patrick Vernen Foltz

Pro

2

1

Answered . You should consult an attorney right away as to whether to pay this money. From the facts you've given on this site, I'm not convinced you would be able to recover the money.

The above is solely for informational purposes and does not create an attorney client relationship.
  3. Deborah Ann Johnson Wilson

1

Answered . It is not possible for an attorney to give legal advice without first meeting with a client. Why? Because legal advice is based upon the law as applied to the particular facts provided during an office consultation. Please set up a meeting with an experience family lawyer before giving your spouse money that you may never recover. Without having details about the marital assets, including his retirement, your retirement, the house, his employment situation, etc. just giving him $20,000 under the guise of a loan does not appear to be a wise decision. Best of luck~