I've been married for 8 years and am seeking alimony. I was told by a paralegal that I am not entitled.

Asked about 1 year ago - Fort Lauderdale, FL

I live in Florida and we have one child together. He was abusive and I have a medical condition. Am I entitled to receive alimony or anything from him? The paralegal explained I would only be entitled if we were married for 10 years or more. Please help.

I am filing for divorce.

1. Sandra Kia Ambrose

7

1

Answered . Paralegals are invaluable to attorneys. However paralegals are not qualified to give you legal advise such as what you indicate was said.

The issue of whether you are entitled to alimony and what kind and for how long is based on the particular circumstances in each case. Here is a link if you are inclined to read up on it. http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?A...

You should consult an experienced family law attorney in your area. Spend a little money on a consultation, or find someone who offers free consultations.... but talk to a lawyer.

Best of everything.
    Sandra K. Ambrose

2. Donald G. Criscuolo

Pro

7

1

Answered . The paralegal is not correct. Merely because the duration of the marriage is less than 10 years does not disqualify you from alimony. I would need to know a lot more before I could tell you about your chances of receiving alimony and in what duration and amount. Feel free to contacte me to discuss this further.

3. Paul J Knudsen

Pro

5

Answered . The paralegal is incorrect, you may be entitled to alimony. You should undoubtedly explore the possibility with a family law attorney.

4. David Alexander Browde

Pro

5

Answered . Getting legal advice from a paralegal is a problem. The paralegal is probably breaking the law by practicing law without a license.

Analysis of these issues requires a detailed examination of the facts and circumstances of your marriage. Consult a local attorney while you still have time.

5. William Charles Rosenfelt

3

Answered . Why would you seek legal advice from a paralegal? They are not qualified to give legal opinions. Make sure that you only see legal advice from an attorney. Alimony can be granted under a vast number of circumstances such that attorneys are reluctant to ever categorically "rule it out" or guarantee its availability.

Bill Rosenfelt 407-462-8787 (Orlando)

6. Penny Taylor-Miller

Pro

2

Answered . This is why paralegals are not permitted to provide legal advice. The paralegal is wrong. Florida law does not prevent you from seeking alimony simply because you have been married for less than ten years. There are various forms of alimony you may be entitled to, especially with a medical condition. The real questions is your need and your spouse's ability to pay. How much is his income compared to yours? The greater the disparity, the greater your chances. Depending on his income, he may even be required to pay your attorney's fees and costs. Please feel free to contact me for a free consultation at (954) 755-6608.

7. Richard Scott Chizever

Pro

2

Answered . The paralegal is incorrect. You need to consult an attorney. Alimony is based upon need and ability to pay. Obviously you have the need, so the issue is does your husband have the ability to pay. Hire an attorney. You can also check my website out that discusses alimony and has a link to the statue.

8. Jaiseery Arjoonsingh Jr.

1

Answered . I am echoing what my colleagues have stated in that the paralegal has no business giving legal advice. As mentioned by others, you may be entitled to alimony. The type of alimony you may be entitled to should be explored further. You should get an attorney to handle this issue immediately. You do not want to go through this process alone.