I've been married for 23 years and divorced for 1 year. Am I still entitled to my husbands annuity?

Asked about 3 years ago - Runnemede, NJ

The annuity was started from his employer after our third year of marriage in 1990. He took the annuity and rolled it to a Roth this year and is getting dividends monthly. They asked him about me before it was rolled over. Don't know how he was able to do this. Please provide understanding.

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

11

Answered . The annuity should have been part of the marital estate and divided by qudro or other method as part of your separation agrement or judgment. either that or you received something else to make up for it. Check with your attny or whoever helped you with the agreement or the court process, I am sure there is a valid reason. take care and I wish you well.

2. David Perry Davis

1

Answered . I agree with the prior answers. This sounds like a major asset and it should have been addressed in your property settlement agreement. If the PSA is silent on the issue, you may have rights under the federal law addressing retirement benefits (ERISA). Either way - it's something that's beyond the scope of a Q&A list on the internet. There's too much money at stake and too many fact issues to responsibly address here. Best we can say as attorneys is "yes - it's certainly worth checking into with an attorney."

3. Marianne Rebel Brown

Answered . In New Jersey, all of the assets are to be divided at the time of your divorce. The include pensions and annuities earned during the marriage regardless of what party's name the asset is in. If you had an attorney, you need to go back to them and discuss this issue. Sometimes one asset is traded for another asset. Look at you comprehensive agreement or divorce judgment. You should consult with an attorney as soon as possible if this asset is not listed or if you got divorced without the benefit of legal representation.

4. Ronald Glenn Lieberman

Pro

Answered . It depends on what you agreed to in your divorce or what the judge entered, if there was no amicable resolution, or what the disclosure of the asset was by your ex husband.