I've been married for 10 yrs. If I file for divorce is my husband entitled to my 401K & pension plans?

Asked almost 2 years ago - New York, NY

Additionally, we don't have joint bank accounts or credit cards. These were always kept separate.

1. Matthew Thomas Majeski

Pro

8

Answered . I agree with counsel. Generally, retirement accounts that accrue during the marriage are considered marital assets. You would be well advised to get an NY family attorney to help you with this.

2. Lori Noel Bovee

6

Answered . He would be entitled to 1/2 of the marital portion of your pension and 401k, ie what was earned during the marriage. You may be able to negotiate a waiver though. You should consult with a local divorce attorney before doing anything. Good luck,

3. Michael Colin Barrows

6

Answered . I agree with counsel. Generally speaking you are entitled to half of marital portion of 401k and pension.

As for the bank accounts and credit cards, the niceties of title are usually disregarded. There is a presumption that debt and assets, including bank accounts, accumulated during the marriage are marital property. Again this is the bright line rule. If the property was truly kept separate then you may rebut the presumption. You should hire a competent divorce attorney to handle this divorce. Especially in light of the assets involved.
    Michael C. Barrows, Esq.
    BARROWS & TEHRANI, PLLC
    Attorneys at Law
    369 Lexington Avenue, 2nd Floor
    New York, New York 10017
    Tel. (646) 237-7850
    Fax. (646) 619-9312
    www.BarrowsTehrani.com
    www.NewYorkDivorce.info

4. Jayson Lutzky

Pro

5

Answered . Yes you are both entitled to a share of the pensions and 401K plans earned during the marriage. speak to a local experienced matrimonial lawyer for help.

5. David Alexander Browde

Pro

3

Answered . It depends upon when the 401k and pension plan benefits were earned. Consult a local divorce attorney and discuss the situation in detail.

6. Susan Kathleen Duke

Pro

2

Answered . Yes, he is entitled to 1/2 the contributions made and interest on those contributions during the marriage. Also, it does not matter whose name the bank accounts and credit cards are in. These are all presumed to be marital debts and assets.