I've been married 30 years and found out judge didn't sign divorce papers. do i have to re-marry my currant husband

Asked almost 2 years ago - Modesto, CA

married 30 years but divorce may not be final

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Donald Frederick Conviser

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You may well have to re-marry your current husband after you get a final judgment in your divorce from your former husband. You should to to the Court (or Archives) to purchase copies of the Divorce Judgment and any associated papers, whether or not they were filed, and make an appointment with an experienced Family Law Attorney to endeavor to determine whether or not you can apply for a Nunc Pro Tunc signing and entry of the Divorce Judgment by a Judge retroactive to a date prior to your current marriage, and if not, what other options you might have. Hopefully, you can get the Judgment made retroactive to a date pior to your marriage to your current husband, to preserve your right to derivative Social Security benefits in connection with your current husband's Social Security account.

    Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied on, as each situation is... more
  2. Carol Anne Jasinski

    Contributor Level 11


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . If the judgment of divorce was not signed, there is no reason to re-marry, because you are still married.

    The real question here is what do you want to do?

    If you want to be married, do nothing. You are.

    If you want to be divorced, you need to find out why the judgment was not signed. Go down to the courthouse and take a look at your file. Figure out when your divorce filed; what was the reason that the judgment wasn't signed and if your case is too old, or can you can still get a judgment.

    Once you get this information, the self-help center at the court should be able to answer your questions.

  3. Cathleen Elisabeth Norton


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . The marriage to your current husband may not be valid. You need to hire an experienced family law attorney to help you fix this. It will take some effort to find the pleadings from your divorce papers 30 years ago and you would be well advised to seek the help of experienced counsel. Good luck to you.

    If you found this answer helpful, let me know by clicking the "Mark as Helpful" button or "Best Answer" at the... more

Related Topics


Divorce is the process of formally ending a marriage. Divorces may be jointly agreed upon, resolved by negotiation, or decided in court.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

26,711 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

26,711 answers this week

2,803 attorneys answering