I've been in an car accident and I am not at fault. My vehicle has been totaled, what next?

Asked about 2 years ago - Middletown, NJ

After accident I was transported to emergency room via ambulance for head & neck injury. Other parties insurance company(GEICO) accepted full liability for the claim after seeing police report. They totaled out my vehicle and made a fair offer to me. I sent them my title and am awaiting my vehicle check. I've been playing phone tag with the adjusters but other than that, they have been pretty good at keeping me in a rental car (at least until my total loss check comes in the mail.) Are they obligated to keep in rental until I receive this check or after? My insurance(esurance) had mentioned a medical settlement.. I do not want a long drawn out case, but I feel I am entitled to injury damages and time off work, as well as the fact I need a new car now. What should I do from this point?

* I have only been in contact with the other person's insurer for the total loss of my car, not for anything medical. I know my insurance deals with my medical, and my medical adjuster sent me paperwork about a medical claim that I have not sent back (as I did not want to sign anything without advice). I have sought out treatment for my injuries already (headaches, neck pain..). I think I should contact and attorney but was unsure if I really "had a case".

1. James Lee Fant

5

1

Answered . Your insurance is responsible for medical treatment associated with the accident and property damage. You should not discuss the case with the adjuster for the insurance company for the other vehicle and should consult a personal injury attorney. We offer free consultations.

2. Randolph H Wolf

5

1

Answered . Much more information is needed to evaluate your claim. You should contact an experience personal injury attorney as soon as possible. Call us at 732-741-4448 if you have any questions.

Pro

5

1

Answered . More facts are needed to ascertain what damages you are eligible to receive. Make sure you retain a pesonal injury lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30%, so you are left with some money after the lawyer takes his/her fee.

Licensed in PA & NJ. 29% Contingency Fee. Phone: 215-510-6755 www.InjuryLawyerPhiladelphia.com
  4. Michael David Lindner Jr

Pro

3

1

Answered . Often times the responsibility for rental payment ends as soon as the car is totaled and check is sent. Be prepared to return the rental ASAP. Many times this is difficult because people are unable to get a replacement car right away, especially because the check for property damage rarely provides enough to get you into a new car. You should start that process as well. They will not keeping paying for rental.

I am not sure what medical settlement your own insurance company is talking about - or what you mean by that - if you mean payment for pain and suffering, and lost wages, then that settlement would come from Geico and not Esurance.

You should contact a lawyer right away. As you can see, many lawyers will offer free consultations for accident cases. Take advantage of that, I tell clients all the time, it is one of the few times you truly get something for free from a lawyer. But the bottom line is that you will be better off by doing so, because we as lawyers, can help.

5. John George Ducey

3

1

Answered . It depends on the type of insurance you have. Most drivers have a verbal, tort or limited threshold. This means you have to have a serious injury to collect such as a herniated disc in your back or neck. I can explain further if you wish.

John Ducey
    732-458-5600