I’ve been arrested 3 months ago for 3 misdemeanors and I’m out on bail. How will it take for the DA file charges against me

New London, WI |

Police gave me citations for battery, disorderly conduct, and carrying a concealed weapon.

1. the state has up to 3 years to charge misdemeanors usually it is within a few months and it is unusual for it to take more than a year.

In accordance with the Avvo community guidelines, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship. You should seek counsel in your geographic area regarding any specific questions.

2. It is usually the case that cases are charged soon after the law enforcement reports are submitted to the prosecutor. The other attorney is correct, though, for most misdemeanors in Wisconsin under most circumstances, the prosecutor could wait up to 3 years.

Please note the information provided does not constitute legal advice and no attorney/client relationship is created by any questions or answers or legal guides posted on Avvo.com. Never make any important legal decisions without consulting an attorney.

3. It is correct that the State has 3 years to file misdemeanor charges. However, you indicated that you are out on bail. That suggests that charges have already been filed. Unless you simply posted cash at the police station to be released. I suggest that you telephone the District Attorney's Office and ask if they have a referral for you. Then you will at least know whether or not someone there is reviewing your matter. This is another type of situation where retaining a lawyer on a pre-charging basis could be very helpful.