I've been accussed of welfare fraud what is my best course of action. What are the chances of receiving no jail time

Bronx, NY |

Im a single father with full custody of a 12 year old daugther. who realies completly on me for all financial support.

Depends on amount of alleged fraud, your prior record, and other factors specific to your case. These cases are prosecuted by the Attorney General's office. They are usually willing to negotiate and a non-jail disposition is possible. Hire an experienced criminal defense attorney.

2. You should have posted this in the Criminal Law Questions section.

3. You should hire a lawyer who specializes in criminal defense. The first step is to call a lawyer for a free consultation. Without knowing the facts of your case, no one here can give you an opinion with any degree of precision.

Atty: 845-704-7777. This answer is provided for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. You should not take action based upon this information without consulting legal counsel. This answer is not intended to create, and does not create, an attorney-client relationship. PLEASE REMEMBER: All claims and legal matters have statutes of limitations and/or other important time periods that apply to them. This means that you must take action on all claims or legal matters within the required time period(s) or your claims could be barred by the statute of limitations or dismissed. Contact our office or another competent attorney immediately to discuss the particular facts of any claim or legal issue you might have in order to learn what time periods apply to your particular situation.

4. I've dealt with these cases before. Hire a criminal defense lawyer.

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

5. Your public defender/legal aid assigned will determine the probabilities and advise you.

If you found this "helpful" or "best answer," please click it with my appreciation. My response is for educational purposes and does not constitute legal advice nor creates an attorney client relationship which requires all the details and a personal conference.